The boat 'MISS BAUDET' is a garden, party venue, writers' retreat and HQ for serious meetings with my publisher David

Thursday 8 October 2015

How To Write A Book

Harry The Dog
It's easy to write a book...All you need are four essential ingredients, and one extra magic one

Part One:
Have an idea for a plot (fortunately I have no
Miss Baudet
shortage of 'em).
Have enthusiasm (also fortunately I have lots).
Have stamina (that's my shortfall, but I'm working at it).
Have a supporting missus (I am very lucky - 'Erindoors is a wonder).
Part Two:
Have a boat - preferably A Boat for My Potplants, upon which to have writing sessions. (although I no longer have Los Amigos, renamed Miss Baudet, the boat was indeed instrumental in the creative process.
Part Three:
Have a very talented daughter who illustrates the characters, including Harry The Dog. Oh, she's good!
Part Four:
Find someone who will mentor you, help you, work with you, edit you, publish you, eat with you, drink with you, laugh with you. Laughing is the most important element in this 'How To' section.
In my case, this is David Roberts, author of Rock Atlas, who shares with me a love of great music.
Part magic:
Be inspired. Who could fail at this, living in Wivenhoe?

No comments:

Post a Comment