The boat 'MISS BAUDET' is a garden, party venue, writers' retreat and HQ for serious meetings with my publisher David

Saturday 20 March 2010

It's just not fun any more

It's just not fun anymore.

In the good old days of the mid '70's around the time that the Boat For My Potplants was built, it would have been fun to sit at the captain's table, glasses of rum in hand, trying to think up boat-related songs to adopt as the boat's 'signature tune'.

Many hours would have been pleasantly passed, recalling the likes of Michael Row The Boat Ashore (Harry Belafonte) or Rock The Boat (Hues Corporation). Or how about Moon River by Andy Williams or Many Rivers To Cross by Jimmy Cliff? And if one was feeling less than optimistic about the boat's future there's always Six Months In A Leaky Boat by Split Enz, or, God forbid, Wait Till Your Boat Goes Down by XTC!

But nowadays it's simple to look things up on the computer. Hours have been turned to seconds, and a bottle is now a thimble. It's just not fun any more.

But as for the Boat For My Potplants - well that's a different matter.

1 comment:

  1. What ho me old fruitcake, Reggie here again, Reggie Deuxpots.

    Look, I don't want to moan again about photos, , but that one with the four-fingered gesture, I've been posted to a few strange places in my career and I've never come across that one before, but I'm sure that whatever it does mean, it's probably not very nice.....

    So instead how about a glowing sunset over the gravel pit, or that young filly of yours tastefully posed on the pulpit??

    And as for songs, how about Reminiscing by the Little River Band?

    rDp

    ReplyDelete