The boat 'MISS BAUDET' is a garden, party venue, writers' retreat and HQ for serious meetings with my publisher David

Monday 31 October 2011

The Boat That Rocked

As parties go, that was a pretty good one. And the picture tells the story.

On Saturday evening we took our positions on board The Boat For My Potplants. I have never seen so many people on the quay. It was heaving. The queue to get to the Rose And Crown bar snaked for twenty or thirty people outside the door and along the road. Papa's, the fish-and-chippy around the corner, was doing a roaring trade. Music was blaring out from somewhere high up. The evening air was clear and mild. In fact the atmosphere couldn't have been more perfect.

The countdown began, and on the crowd's shout of "ONE" the first burst of rockets and bangers were sent skyward from the control point on the other side of the river.

From our rear deck position we had the most excellent viewing platform, and company to match.

After the firework finale, our solar energy system and old Grundig amp did us proud as we pumped up the volume, ensuring that the party went on into the night.

And more importantly, we had a stream of our guests coming on board to join in the fun on board the The Boat For My Party.

1 comment:

  1. Ahoy Neil, hi Jane

    I'm looking forward to reading future blog posts - not because I'm planning to renovate a boat but because, as someone who doesn't have green fingers, I'm interested in how you keep those pot plants alive. Keep up the good work! (And PS, thanks for the fantastic review of Toute Allure. I loved it so much - particularly the 'full Technicolour'line - I mentioned it on Twitter.)

    V best

    Karen

    ReplyDelete