The boat 'MISS BAUDET' is a garden, party venue, writers' retreat and HQ for serious meetings with my publisher David

Sunday 17 January 2010

Do Do Ron Ron

Welcome, dear bloggees. Last night I was brimming with the excitement of all the latest developments concerning my Boat For My Potplants, and I promised to reveal more today. Being a man of my word, I am going to start with the revelation of who the current owner of the boat is.

It is the very lovable Ron Rowland, who, in his seventies, has now decided that the boat has become too much for him to look after. It has become a liability more than an asset, and it's only going to become more so over the coming years. Which is why he has so kindly offered the boat, which he has owned and cherished for the past 16 years, to me - thanks to the inspiration of his son (and my great friend), Neil Rowland.

It was Neil who put in the initial call to his dad after he and I had been sitting outside the Rose And Crown in Wivenhoe. I was gazing out to the river soon after having moved here, and turned to Neil and said 'One day I'd love to have a boat here.' Thanks, mate! And I mean that most sincerely.

No comments:

Post a Comment