The boat 'MISS BAUDET' is a garden, party venue, writers' retreat and HQ for serious meetings with my publisher David

Monday 18 January 2010

What's In A Name?

On many occasions I have been asked what the name of the boat is. Of course, it is called A Boat For My Potplants. 'But why?', I hear you ask in unison. The answer, my friends, is blowing in the gale, the answer is blowing in the gale. It is called a Boat For My Potplants because that's the primary raison d'etre for me wanting to get a boat in the first place - just so that I can use it like a garden, and sit among my plants, and read the papers.

'What sort of potplants do you mean, dear boy?', comes the often-asked following question, insinuating something, er, not quite ship-shape or bristol-fashion, if you know what I mean. I tell 'em I'm only considering geraniums, chrysanthemums, pansies and the like, and NOTHING else!' And that's why it's called what it's called', I say.

'But it must have a real name. And you know that it's unlucky to change the name of a boat, don't you?', they say.

'Yes, I reply.' It's real name, painted in fading lettering on the side, is aptly named "SERENITY". 'And that is what it will remain for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment