The boat 'MISS BAUDET' is a garden, party venue, writers' retreat and HQ for serious meetings with my publisher David

Saturday 2 May 2020

NO STOPPING NOW (TALKING HIFI)





There's no stopping me now. Spurred on by the success of having an amplifier and semi-good speakers (although there's always room for speaker upgrading in any hifi system), I've been playing around with getting the TV hooked up to a cheap and cheerful DVD player.

Remarkably, it worked. The picture was great, but the sound, going through the TV was absolute sh*te, putting it mildly. And when I played my laptop through the TV to watch music videos on Youtube, it sounded even worse.

So, the answer to this enormous problem was to connect the TV to the hifi amp. Luckily, because the amp is an ancient Grundig, with more inputs than I could throw a stick at (phono, plus 4 others), I'm able to connect 1) iPod, 2) BlueTooth receiver for iPhone connection, 3) TV, and 4) record player. And I still have one left!

Anyway, all I needed was an HDMI cable to connect the DVD player to the TV, and an Optical cable to connect the TV to the Grundig amp, and I'd be laughing.

(Some might say that with all this talk of cables and connectors, that I've got too much time on my hands. They might have a point.)

Well, the cables came, and now I'm well and truly laughing - because it all sounds FANTASTIC!


No comments:

Post a Comment